Wednesday, April 29, 2009

off to the vet - I'm not having fun anymore mom!!


Well after my last post amber was worse. She threw up outside and had bloody stools. The vet wanted to see her. We saw a different vet today since the one that did the surgery is on vacation this week. They did a stool sample and found out that Amber has a Clostridium infection. He has switched our meds around and added a new one. He is discontinuing the vetprofen (anti-inflammatory), and Cephalexin (antibiotic) until the stools are back to normal. I found out that the tramadol prescription dose was WRONG on her pain med bottle. They had written 2 pills a day for 5 days. I thought it was strange since they had dispersed 30 pills!
I asked about it today and the doctor looked and said it should have been 2 pills a day 3 times a day for 5 days! Wow poor Amber was not getting all the pain meds she should have. I have to say though she never really acted like she was in alot of pain so that is good.
He wants me to start giving her the Tramadol 3 times a day now for 2-3 days. I have to feed her a bland diet of canned food (EN Gastroenteric) that they gave me for 2-3 days to help her stomach. They added Metronidazole for the infection and she will be on that for 10 days. He said the red spot could be an irritation form the clipping that she is licking. He said the incision looked great and that the flexibility in the knee also looked great. He wants me to collar her so she can't get to the sore. They had the "no bite" collars there so I purchased one. Amber freaked out when I tried to put an E collar on her a few days ago so I knew I could not use that. She seems to be tolerating this one better. Hopefully in a few days we will see an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment