Wednesday, July 1, 2009

10 wks

Amber is doing very well at this point. I can tell that her leg still bothers her though after getting up from sleeping. She is slow to get up. Once she is up she does great. At this point I'm still not allowing any jumping or playing. We are up to about two 25 minute walks each day which she does well at. She goes outside now without a leash for potty breaks. She is using her leg more and more and during our walks there is hardly any limp at all. She will still 3 legg it though once in a while if she trys to hurry up while walking. She was outside the other day and I called her and she ran to me and ran up the steps using all four leggs. My heart went to my stomach but she did fine and looked at me like "what?" I am going to start doing some muscle building excercises with her next week.(see exercise post) I am NOT going to allow her to jump any time soon. Our vet did not really give me a timeline on that but I want to be sure she is totally healed before allowing that kind of activity. Also no playing fetch this summer at all. There will be plenty of time next summer for that when I think I'll feel more comfortable with heavy running and jumping.

1 comment:

  1. Karen,
    Seems we have a more liberal vet than you do! ( maybe because Zoey is only a yr old and heals quicker?? or maybe it's just a dif vet's opinion...):-)
    Zoey has been given the ok at 8 weeks to return to normal activity. She runs, jumps, plays with other dogs. She, too, limps a bit when getting up after sleeping but doesn't at all other times.
    The only thing they are having us wait on is off leash running.
    We began walking with her at 2 weeks and built up every week, so that by her 8 week mark, she was walking 40 min. She also has been using steps since 3 weeks.
    Our vet is comfortable with all that, and she seems fine!
    Hope Amber continues to do well!
    Darla

    ReplyDelete