Wednesday, May 13, 2009

3 weeks post op

Today is 3 weeks since Ambers Tightrope surgery. She is doing great and enjoying being able to move around the house again. We are up to walking 15 minutes twice a day which she really enjoys. It is hard to keep her at a slow pace. Yesterday she did not want to come home from her walk. She saw the house and put on the breaks. I did not want to pull her to hard for fear that I might make her lose her balance. There we sat in the middle of the road. It was quite the site and a neighbor who drove past got quite the chuckle and thought I might have to carry her home.We have to walk slow so she will put pressure on the leg and not just 3 leg it. She is still on restricted activity and not allowed outside unless on a leash, even for potty breaks. I do take her up the stairs at night with her harness so that I can sleep in my bed. The pull out couch was causing havic with me. Amber is starting to look better also since her hair is now growing back on her leg and back.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for blooging on your experiences! Our lab just had tightrope 4 days ago, and I am wondering and worrying about what is "normal". I googled and found your site.
    Are you up for sharing info and experiences?
    Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps....if you don't want to clog your blog with stuff back and forth to me, my email is:
    darlahornbaker@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your email and for allowing me to post on here so others can benefit as well. :-)
    Zoey is a 14 month old Yellow lab.
    She had never been crated until this week, and yes, she thinks we are killing her. :(
    I'm wondering how much moving around...your house, the yard on potty breaks, etc...did you allow the first 2 weeks? Was Amber kept very strictly in crate during that time or allowed to walk around carefully?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    We did not crate Amber her first two weeks BUT we did keep her confined to a very small room. She was only allowed out of this room for potty breaks. Our computer room is only about 9'x 7' and that is where Amber stayed. We could not crate her since she freaks out when she is in one. As far as potty breaks were concerned she was and still is on a leash. I walk her on a very short leash and only in a small area outside. You don't want them running or doing steps yet because they could either slip and loosen the repair or worse yet blow out the other knee. (This is not uncommon!) There are many dogs who will blow out the good knee while recovering from the first surgery. I'm so sorry that this has happened to Zoey at such a young age. The good news is she should heal really well due to her age.

    ReplyDelete